Tuesday 29 July 2014

You've Been Collared

There were 3 green sandpiper on the Wildfowlers' Pools this morning along with 4 snipe and 3 teal. Another snipe was on the Flood where there were also 20+ alba wagtails.
The regular post-breeding greylag and Canada goose numbers continue to infest the area - at least 3 greylag were sporting nifty neck collars. A quick conversation with Kane Brides from WWT suggests that these are likely from the ongoing Windermere project.
At Freeman's Pools a doe roe deer had 3 fawns in tow.

Following a tip-off from a regular Aldcliffe walker I went back down in the evening to look for barn owl.
Unfortunately, I didn't get lucky in the hour and a half I spent hanging around near Marsh Point. Mind you, the sunset was rather pretty!
The roe deer made an appearance again, but not much else showed bar the gathering of swifts, swallows and house martins over the pools. I kept my eye out for a hunting hobby, but none showed up.

Jon   

No comments: