Monday 7 April 2014

Crappy Monday

The early murk and drizzle looked promising and so I headed off to scour the patch in search of migrant birds. I got a thorough soaking and ended up chilled to the bone during my two hours trawl of all the Aldcliffe hotspots.
Well dear readers, I'm sorry to say that my customary optimism once again failed to pay off and it was really very poor out there. Such is the way for those familiar with birding Aldcliffe.
The various pools and the Flood were all unremarkable with no sign of anything off-passage; out on the marsh there was little of note looming in the gloom.
All along the cycle track the ever-present sound of singing chiffchaffs was encouraging, but I could only locate a single willow warbler - my first for the year. Cheered up by this sweet voiced migrant, I piled on and found just 3 singing blackcaps between the cutting and Stodday.
A red-breasted merganser on the Lune was the only duck of interest, while c70 lingering pink-footed geese grazed out on Colloway Marsh.

Let's just hope that next time I get a day off, conditions are a bit more 'birdy'...

Jon
  

No comments: