Friday 3 September 2010

Super!

Hello. Dan reporting.

My two best birds today were both sporting striking supercilia.

First was a gorgeous wood sandpiper, which was stalking the pools of the parish. I managed to get a couple of shots by poking my lens through the branches of a hedge.

Jon 'Canuck' Carter had 5 or 6 wood sands down Aldcliffe over the years, but this was only my second in 12 years. I phoned it in to RBA to be told that it had already been logged- three hours earlier. Old news!

Anyhoo, the second set of eyebrows was on a pleasant whinchat which was hunting the juncus by Freeman's Pools. Two kingfishers there also.

Other highlights included a merlin, three green sandpipers, thirty common snipe and the continued plague of juv willow warblers.

Dan




1 comment:

Jon Carter said...

Bob on! Can't beat getting wood down at Aldcliffe eh?