Thursday 29 July 2010

Alien Invaders........

Another bright and breezy day down the Parish. Freeman's Pools were a bit quiet, probably due to a great deal of noise coming from a chainsaw chopping down the dead trees next door, shame as they were used by many birds.Not sure as to what extent they are felling, will keep posted. Wildfowlers’ Pool saw Little Ringed Plover and a Green Sandpiper. The Flood finally has some birds on it, a Snipe, Green Sandpiper and 2 Lapwing. 
A few hundred Black-headed Gulls in newly harvested fields produced 1 Mediterranean Gull. Four Little Egrets were on the riverbank. I spotted one Common Sandpiper with a good number of Lapwing.
As I made my way through railway cutting I noticed some Himalayan Balsam at the northern end, I pulled some of it up, but will need to return and pull up the rest, as it is quite hard to get to. If this stuff takes hold it will spread throughout the area in no time at all!  
Steve.

No comments: